|10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday to Saturday
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday to Friday
(limited access on Sat.)
|3009 - 32nd Avenue
ABOUT THE ARCHIVES
The Archives at the Vernon Museum has the distinction of being among the most respected research facilities in the province. Each year, well in excess of 700 research inquiries from individuals in the province and many other parts of the country come through our archives. A full time archivist, Barbara Bell, manages the department.
The purpose of the archives is to acquire and preserve material of archival and/or informational value to the North Okanagan and to make such material available to the public by employing accepted archival practices.
ACCESSING THE ARCHIVES
RESOURCES AVAILABLE ON-LINE
Full Descriptions of our holdings are available online through the British Columbia Archival Information Network @ memorybc.ca
RESOURCES AVAILABLE ON SITE
- Collections of Original Documents
- Over 250 record groups containing original documents from individuals, groups, organizations, societies, local government, and businesses.
- Information Files that include...
- Over 450 local history topics.
- The Interior Salish.
- Biographical information on more than1500 people.
- Military topics back to the Boer War.
- Over 30,000 historic images can be accessed using our public display terminal at the museum. Only a limited number are available for viewing on-line.
- Newspapers (Vernon News/Morning Star).
- Property Assessment Records (1890’s to 1965).
- City of Vernon Council Minutes (1893 - 1974).
- Vernon & Area Phone Books (1911– present).
- Okanagan Historical Society Reports (1926 – present).
- B.C. Mining Reports (1899, 1903 - 1979).
- B.C. Dragoons War Diaries (1915-1919 & 1940-1945).
- Extensive Map Collection
- Topographical Maps
- Contour Maps
- Historical Maps
- Fire Insurance Plans (1913, 1939, 1952, 1970)
- B.C. Gazette (1886-1922)
JOHN SHEPHARD REFERENCE LIBRARY
An extensive reference library consisting of over 2800 rare and out-of-print publications are also available to visiting researchers. This collection includes…
- Local, Provincial and National History Topics
- Natural History
- Military History